What happens to a conversation on a microblogging platform such as twitter? If I have a conversation with you about chess and we exchange a few tweets, then what? The conversation is lost, not indexed or searchable in any way. What if twitter allowed for everyone who’s talking about the same thing to be a part of the same conversation? Right now twittter is like a global chat room and conversation occur on a 1-1 basis or on a many to 1 basis.
Twitter should add a feature that allows for the categorization or organization of conversations. If I want to jump into a conversation with 30 other chess enthusiasts, I should be able to do so, but I can’t. There is a lot of information that is flowing around on twitter but it’s not being utilized. We have to rely on third party sites and applications that allow us do do things with twitter that twitter doesn’t allow us to do. So what could twitter do with all of the conversations?
- allow me to search conversations based on category and allow me to see who else is participating in the conversation
- trend the most popular conversations/discussions on twitter, almost like a google trends
- allow me to tag or bring in other people into the conversation that I think can add value and information
- a possible business model could be to create a market place around conversations with related products and services
- allow for conversations to carry over from one platform to another
What are your ideas? What could twitter do with all of the conversations that are going on online that goes beyond just using twitter search to search for keywords? What if twitter became something like socialmedian but with instant communication? It seems like there is a unique opportunity to make the most out of the conversations online, what will twitter do? what would you like them to do?